Support Groups - the Right Help is Right Here
Comprehensive care includes not just superior care for your body but nurturing your mind and soul too - you'll find it all at HSHS St. Joseph's Hospital. Whether you're facing a life-threatening disease, managing a chronic health issue or coping with the death of a loved one, you don't have to do it alone. From dealing with some of the most difficult health-related issues to managing your personal health, you'll find the resources you need right here - a full selection of community health education classes and support groups.
What support groups are offered at St. Joseph's Hospital?
Many support groups meet regularly at the hospital. You'll meet with a host of professionals including specially trained hospital staff and community members. All groups are free of charge unless otherwise indicated. Available support groups include:
- Alzheimer's Support Group
- Offers: A relaxed, confidential atmosphere for those caring for loved ones with Alzheimer's to talk with others in similar situations and learn about available services and research.
- Meets: On the 3rd Thursday of the month at 6:30 pm. Registration is no required. For more information, call (618) 651-2766.
- Cancer Support Group
- Offers: Support for anyone with any type of cancer as well as their family and friends. Help coping with the physical and emotional aspects of the disease, finding ways to reduce anxiety, sharing common concerns and more.
- Meets: Instead of meeting every month, the hospital's Cancer Support Group now meets weekly during a new seven (7) week format. The support group is lead by the Pastoral Care Department of SJH. For more information, call (618) 651-2980.
- Diabetes Support Group
- Offers: Glucose testing and resource materials at each meeting, support for those living with and managing diabetes.
- Meets: On the 1st Tuesday of each month (except in June, July and August). Registration is not required. For more information, call (618) 651-2761. Click HERE to watch an educational video on type 2 diabetes.
- Emmi Patient Resource Video
- New Day Grief Support - MUST CALL AND REGISTER
- Offers: Support for those coping with the death of a loved one.
- Meets: Twice a year for nine week sessions. Led by the Pastoral Care Department. For more information and to register, call (618) 651-2980.
- Gluten-Free Support
- Offers: The opportunity for those following a gluten-free diet to share health and diet challenges, find new nutritional solutions, share common concerns and more. According to the Center for Celiac Research at the University of Maryland, about 6% of the population has health problems (irritable bowel syndrome, migraines, skin rashes/psoriasis, among others) that are caused by eating gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. Other foods, like beans and some grains, particularly oatmeal, must be considered suspect due to potential cross contamination in storage silos and on farm equipment used for harvesting multiple crops. Cindy Hartman, a registered dietician on staff at SJH, leads the Gluten-Free Support Group
- Meets: On the 3rd Monday of each month at 6:30. Participation in the Gluten-Free Support Group is free and no registration is necessary. For more information, call (618) 651-2743. Led by our registered dietician Cindy Hartman. If you have questions about any of SJH's community health education classes or support groups, or you need help finding the right resource for you, call (618) 651-2590.
In need of transportation for a support group session? Use St. Joseph Highland's free patient transportation service.