Strengthen the heart and teach participants and their caregivers how to make heart-healthy lifestyle changes to decrease the potential for recurrent events.
- Strengthening and reconditioning the cardiovascular system
- Reducing cholesterol and triglycerides
- Altering risk factors to prevent progression of disease
- Improving muscle strength
- Lowering blood pressure
- Allowing a more prompt, safe return to work & daily activities
- Reducing depression
Outpatient programs generally begin anywhere from one week to eight weeks after a cardiac event or hospitalization as directed by your physician, but it can be beneficial up to one year later. Participants typically attend three times a week for about 6-12 weeks, depending on risk factors and disease process. The sessions last about an hour. HSHS St. Joseph’s Cardiac Rehab is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR).