When it comes to helping your heart and lungs return to health after an event or illness, your greatest ally is the professional Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab team at HSHS St. Joseph's Hospital in Highland. Working closely with physicians, the staff combines a multidisciplinary approach of education and monitored exercise to enhance your quality of life and return you to your daily activities.
What types of rehab and wellness programs are available?
At the Center for Cardiac Rehab & Wellness, you'll find programs specifically designed to strengthen your heart and lower your risk for future heart attacks and other cardiac events, decrease the shortness of breath associated with lung disease, and help you move toward and maintain a healthy lifestyle, including managing chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart failure and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder). Programs include:
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- SJH Healthy Pathways
What can I expect in Cardiac Rehabilitation?
During Cardiac Rehabilitation - also called Cardiac Rehab - you'll complete a personalized program of up to 36 sessions designed around your individual condition and needs. Your treatment plan will focus on strengthening your heart and reducing your risk factors after a cardiac event such as:
- Heart attack
- Coronary artery angioplasty or stents
- Open heart surgery such as coronary bypass or valve surgery
- Heart failure
- Heart transplantation
Cardiac rehab is generally covered by most health insurance companies. Recent scientific studies have shown that people who complete a cardiac rehabilitation program can increase their life expectancy by up to five years.
Your cardiac rehab will include:
- An assessment of your personal risk factors for heart and blood vessel disease
- Education and support to help you make healthy lifestyle changes such as heart healthy eating, maintaining a healthy weight, avoiding tobacco and environmental smoke and managing stress
- Help beginning and maintaining a personalized exercise plan that works for you
- Monitoring and better control of blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes
- Improved communication with your doctor and healthcare providers about your progress following your cardiac event
- And more
For more information or to schedule a tour of the Center for Cardiac Rehab & Wellness, call (618) 651-2755.
What can I expect in Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
During Pulmonary Rehabilitation, or Pulmonary Rehab, you'll move through an individualized and personalized treatment plan of up to 36 sessions designed to improve the shortness of breath and other symptoms associated with various lung diseases, including:
- COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Chronic bronchitis
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung cancer and lung cancer surgery
- Lung volume reduction surgery before and after lung transplantation
Pulmonary rehab is generally covered by most insurance companies. It will help you live better with your lung condition.
Your Pulmonary Rehab includes:
- Monitored and supervised physician-prescribed exercise to improve endurance and muscle strength
- Psychosocial support to help you live with lung disease and improve your quality of life
- Education focused on breathing training, dealing with breathing problems and symptoms, diet and nutrition and medications
- Choice of morning or afternoon session times
- And more
SJH Healthy Pathways Programs
Take your recovery to the next level with Healthy Pathways, a collection of programs created to help you make exercise and healthy living a permanent part of your life. You have access to supervised exercise and support for managing chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart failure and COPD, as well as programs to help you start or maintain exercise program in a supervised setting. You can attend up to three times a week. Payment is monthly and generally isn't covered by health insurance companies.
For more information on the programs available or to schedule a tour of the Center for Cardiac Rehab & Wellness, call (618) 651-2755.