Deferred charitable gifts, also known as planned or legacy gifts, offer the greatest opportunity for both the Hospital and the donor.
These gift arrangements are a way to reflect your values, leaving a legacy of giving, as well as offering the opportunity to make a significant impact on patient care. In addition, they often have considerable tax advantages for the donor and/or family members.
Planned gifts include:
- Wills - A bequest through your will or a trust enable you to leave a legacy for our Hospital that reflects your values and serves our Mission.
- Trusts - This planned gift is designed to benefit you now through life income or tax savings and provide funding in the future for the Hospital's work, including charitable remainder unitrust, annuity trust or lead trust.
- Life Insurance - Life insurance donors may designate the Hospital as a beneficiary or an owner of the policy as a special way of gifting. The donor can take a deduction approximately equal to the policy's cash value at the time the gift is made. Annual premiums are also tax deductible each year.
- Endowments - Whether a named endowment honoring your family or loved one, or a pooled endowment, this is a gift that supports the Hospital in perpetuity with yearly earnings.
- Appreciated Securities - These include stocks and bonds, which have several tax advantages and make excellent gifts for the Hospital and you.
- Retirement Plan Assets - Retirement plan assets left to your heirs may shrink as much as 70 percent through taxation. Not only does your estate pay tax on the plan's assets, but your heirs also pay income tax on your gift. By naming the Friends of St. Joseph’s Hospital as the beneficiary of your account, in part or in full, and leaving other assets to your heirs, you give more to your heirs, more to charity and less to taxation. Note: You must list HSHS St. Joseph's Foundation as the beneficiary on your retirement plan. Do not designate the gift through your will or the assets may be taxed with your estate.
- Additional options such as retirement plans, IRAs and Life Income Arrangements. A specific plan can be tailored to meet your personal and financial goals.
Note: The following language can be included in one's will, trust, or codicil:
I give _______ percent and/or $__________________ of my estate to the HSHS St. Joseph's Foundation, a division of the Hospital Sisters of St. Francis Foundation; 12866 Troxler Avenue, Highland, IL 62249; to provide funding for the program(s) in need determined by the Administration and Leadership Council of the Friends of St. Joseph's Hospital.
To make a gift to HSHS St. Joseph's Foundation, please contact Amy Liefer at (618) 651-2589 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.